July 3rd is a very important date in my family. First of all it is my husband’s late grandfather’s birthday. Then, on July 3, 2004, I married my best friend Michael. We have known each other since we were 5 and we were best friends in high school. From the day we became a couple there was no doubt in anyone’s mind that we would be together forever.

After we got married the obvious question of “when will you start a family?” started, and the answer was always “as soon as possible!” But we decided to wait until I graduated from nursing school. In January 2006, I was diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries and my doctor urged me to start trying to get pregnant right away, because it could take a month or it could take years. We thought this was the worst news we could ever get. Michael and I were both so ready to have a family and we couldn’t imagine waiting YEARS!

Thankfully, the doctor was wrong. It took one month of fertility pills and BANG, we were pregnant! We found out on April 20th 2006 and by my calculations I would become a mommy on Dec 6th! But on April 21st our feelings of excitement changed into fear. I was at the hospital, doing one of my last clinicals, when I started bleeding heavily. I panicked, called the doctor and by his orders, went home with my feet up for the entire weekend. Monday morning, when I went to the doctor’s office, everything looked fine. We could see a heart beating and I was no longer bleeding. However, this was just the first of MANY scares. I went into the doctor’s office just about every week with a scare due to bleeding, and every time there was nothing they could tell me other than to wait it out. I made more than 5 trips to the hospital in the first 16 weeks of my pregnancy. Between them all, I was on bed rest at home with someone taking care of me at all times.

And then, on July 3, 2006, mine and my husband’s two year wedding anniversary, I went to the hospital again with bleeding and pain; this time worse than ever before. By the time I got to the hospital, I thought I was going to die the pain was so bad and I had lost so much blood. At this point, I was 17 weeks and 6 days pregnant. At the hospital the nurse was able to find a heart beat. Only this time it was in the 120s, while all the other times it had been in the 140s. Right away, Michael and I knew something was wrong. The nurse told us not to worry, that 120s is normal for a baby; but we knew it wasn’t normal for our baby. After the nurse checked my cervix, we were told that I was dilated to 3cm and that my water had broken and that there was no other option, at this point, than to have the baby. At that moment, I knew July 3rd would never be the same for us again.

Right away I knew we couldn’t be mad. We had to see the reason for this and we needed to turn to God and to our wonderful friends and family for help. I ended up delivering our baby boy, Austin James, at 1:44am on July 4th. We are so thankful for his life and for the opportunity to be his parents. We are thankful that I survived due to the extreme blood loss, and we are thankful that I will be able to have more children soon. We know our baby boy lives a life so much better than the one we live, and we are thankful for this as well. We cannot wait for the day we can hold him again in Heaven, but until then we will do everything possible to honor his life every day of ours.

-Carly Huey

Glory Babies Group: Longview